The Scapegoat Concept

I was very upset by the filmĀ Dead Poet’s Society, mainly because I felt as though I could relate very much to the main character, Neil. I understood the pressure he felt to not disappoint his parents, though maybe not as extremely, and the hope he obtained from extracurricular activities. Yet, I found I disagreed with the way most characters handled one situation or another throughout the film. I was particularly bothered by the perpetuating of such pressure-inducing behaviors through the search of a scapegoat, rather than a search for a remedy to rectify all actions taken that may have contributed to such a tragic event as Neil’s suicide.

Two wrongs do not make a right, and despite the Neil’s father’s pain at losing his only son, I think he continues to influence the pressures other students, particularly other members of the newly restored Dead Poet’s Society, face in coping at such a strict institution with a very oppressive culture. By not owning up to his part in his son’s suicide, he is making the rest of Neil’s friends face the consequences of his death on their own. That pressure is particularly evident in Todd, who wants to speak out but feels he cannot for sake of ruining others’ lives, as well as facing the repercussions of speaking out on his own.

This movie was very eye-opening in terms of realizing that what we do or do not do can have a great impact even on the individuals closest to us. Many people had the opportunity to speak out and to help, many people could have chosen to listen or act on Neil’s behalf for the pressure he was feeling, that he had not failed to communicate to those around him. Yet that inaction, and the closed-minded attitude his parents imparted all had a consequence they never foresaw and refused to own up to. They did not even attempt to speak up for Mr. Keating after they learned what would happen, which I think is very similar to their mistakes leading to Neil’s suicide to begin with.

If people don’t own up to their mistakes, then a vicious cycle of wrong is bound to continue.