Dead Poets Society

Dead Poets Society was a heartbreaking yet inspiring film. There are so many points in the movie when I thought “these are just teenagers, why do they have so much pressure on them?!” One scene that particularly strikes me was when Neil could not talk back to his father about having to drop a club and when he referred to his friends as “future lawyer” and “future banker.” The lack of choice these boys had in their lives is what made Mr. Keating’s emphasis on “carpe diem” really speak out to them. What happened to Neil was devastating and it could have absolutely been prevented. I think it is too easy to just put all the blame on Neil’s parents – yes, their pressure on Neil did cause Neil to believe that he was trapped with nowhere to go. However, they only wanted to best for Neil and they would have never thought that Neil would kill himself. Neil’s parents clearly loved him but they couldn’t let go of their own expectations for their son. I think this film emphasizes the importance of being able to listen.

When I reflect on the film, I think of all the opportunities I have now that these boys would only dream of having – all of which allow me to further explore who I am and who I want to be. My parents have wholeheartedly supported all of my endeavors and I am so thankful for their continuous encouragement. This film definitely reminded me how lucky I am. Moreover, it really made me think about how I want to spend my time at Cornell and what kind of impact I want to have on the people around me.

2 thoughts on “Dead Poets Society

1. This sounds like a truly touching film. I’ve heard of it and seen clips, but never really understood what it’s about. Your description makes me want to see it more now that I have a better picture of it.

2. I agree with your point on the opportunities we have. These students were never given the chance to pursue their real interests and couldn’t be excited about the future; however, we are given the opportunity to explore our interests and are put in control of our futures.