Online Persona

Last week I went to a seminar where we talked about to to cultivate your online persona. As a premed bio major, I haven’t really had to use websites such as LinkedIn or Handshake because I can find internships/other extracurriculars through other means. Still, I thought that it was really important for me to at least be aware about how I should present myself online, and I’m really glad that I went because I learned a lot! For example, I didn’t know that you could use Twitter/ Facebook professionally. Sometimes in interviews for jobs/internships, employers will ask you questions about relevant topics in your field. You can use Twitter to follow important figures in your field so that you can answer any questions that they might have. Also, I think that social media is a big part of our daily lives, so it makes sense to use it in order to further your career professionally. We hear so many stories of someone posting something terrible on social media and then getting fired because of it, and so it’s really important to make sure that your social media stays professional, at least publicly. This seminar was really useful and I’m really glad that I went!

One thought on “Online Persona

1. I am also bio major on the premed track! I also don’t use linkedin much, but I find it very hard to find opportunities for us. Even when looking at coffee chats or study abroad programs, they seem to mostly be catered to business careers. Furthermore, I haven’t seem many opportunities on campus for people to be medically involved, or maybe I’m not looking at the right places.