To look and to wear is also to present

Getting ready for the day is something that just, well, happens. It’s subconscious. We have a routine, we have a look, so we stick to them and move on with everything else in life. As students, it takes time to change routines. And time is something we don’t often have. But Nicholas Carbonaro put all this into the context of a world where how we present ourselves sends a message. He talked about a sort of sixth sense that we all have. Whenever we see or meet someone, we often get a sense of who someone is based on the way they present themselves. Sure, an interviewer may see that someone has the skills, which is great. But that person’s hair may still be wet from the shower he or she frantically took a half-hour before the interview started, or it seems like that person is trying to make this style work when it’s really not working. Subtleties like that factor into decisions like, do we want this person at our company? Is this person professional? Is this person put together? This kind of discussion is in sync with what’s coming up in our lives. Carbonaro stressed that he makes these insights about humanity all the time because he encounters all sorts of people every day in the salon. But whether it’s about how we present ourselves or how others present themselves, these insights matter. They can help us to figure out how to best communicate who we are to the world. And they can help us to be comfortable with who we are whenever we go out into the world.

5 thoughts on “To look and to wear is also to present

1. I like your post, it’s a great summary of the importance of how we present ourselves to the world. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend the cafe last week, but it seems like it was a good one!

2. Thanks for this summary. I feel like I got the essence and advice of the talk without having actually gone there.

3. I’ve always been told that I must dress to impress for an interview and it totally makes sense that my presentation affects how people see me! This sounds like it was an interesting seminar.

4. As many have iterated already, it’s quite fascinating hearing from an expert on how our presentation, with the way we dress, affects how people see us. To some extent, this is something I feel like I already know. For example, in different scenarios and for different occasions, I consciously make the decision to choose specific types of outfits, likely knowing that a wrong outfit would yield a bad impression upon myself. Nonetheless, great post!