O Captain. My Captain.

Captain! My Captain.

On the evening of homecoming and firework laser night show, we watched Dead Poets Society together in the warm, cozy Rose House dining room. I left with tears in my eyes and on my face. I felt sorry for the boys in the class, who had to challenge their own integrity by not telling the truth to protect themselves. They were forced to make the ethical decision to save their future and Mr Keating’s future. I don’t think anyone of their age should be forced to make that choice. When they were deeply devastated by their best friend’s suicide, and had to post untruthful blame on their favorite teacher, I couldn’t image what that would do to a teenager after they grow up. For those with moral values, they will be regretting this for the rest of their lives. And for those unethical students like Richard, they will get away with no influence on their lives. That is the truly sad part of this story: Students with high moral standards get punished harder. Mr. Keating knows. He understands. He had tears in his eyes, less for being betrayed and blamed for Neil’s death, but for what his best students were forced to do.

His soul is free. And he tries to give freedom to more students. He encouraged Neil to pursue what he loved. He encouraged all the students to stand on the desk to observe from a different perspective. He is truly a mentor, for discovering each of them’s talents. It reminds me of Professor Dumbledore in Harry Potter. Dumbledore’s Army and the Order of Phoenix are in such resemblance with dead poets society. They all represent a positive, free spirit that fought against the dark, suppressing forces. Unfortunately, many parents, teachers, authorities were not able to see the bigger picture as Mr. Keating does. They do not see that they cannot force every student’s dream to be getting into a Ivy League school, or becoming a lawyer or doctor. Some people already died, but they didn’t get buried until 85. It is speaking about people without a freed soul.

Carpe Diem. Living in your own way.