Rose Dining

When I went to the Rose Cafe with Chef Hans, I didn’t exactly know what to expect. My first thought was that he couldn’t possibly talk about cooking for an hour. Surprisingly though, the whole hour was very enlightening and I realized there’s a lot more to the dining hall than just cooking pre specified recipes. For example, logistics plays a huge role in what we are served. The quesadilla station that used to exist in Rose was removed since it (surprisingly) took a lot of prep and time. Instead, the cookie platter has replaced it and has been a huge success.

Something I was struck by in the cafe was that Chef Hans really cares about how the workers at Rose feel. Their stress levels and morale are a key factor in his decisions of what to cook. He likes to get them invested in work and encourages them to do research on what dishes they’d like to introduce. I thought this was a great change to what we traditionally perceive food service jobs to be like. My own mother constantly stressed to me that I should never seek out a job in food service, since I would probably be treated terribly and my work wouldn’t be appreciated. I don’t think Chef Hans’ workers feel that way at all.

My own experience with dining halls is often pretty impersonal. Since you aren’t being waited on by anyone, it’s not like you can send your thanks to the chef through them. When I like the food, I tend to tell my friends who I’m eating with, but never the actual staff who cooked it. I don’t even tend to think of the people who cook it at all, which I now realize has been a mistake on my part. I think from now on I’ll make an effort to seek out the chef at a dining hall if I really enjoyed what they made, since I know the effort and planning that goes into it now. Overall, I was really impressed by Chef Hans efforts and ability to manage the dining hall.

3 thoughts on “Rose Dining

1. I agree with you, and I was also impressed about how much work and thought that he put into our everyday dining and food. He made this work very scientific and engaging to his team, and this leadership skill would be interesting for us to learn.

2. Since Chef Hans and the Rose staff often make food for me specifically and because I’ve worked in both Becker and North Star I’ve gotten to see how a lot of the chefs on campus prepare food and hearing about (and seeing) Chef Hans’ commitment to serving us fresh, good food is really refreshing. Working in food service can definitely be stressful so I admire how he really cares about his staff and what they think.

3. I did not attend this talk, but it’s really interesting to learn how much time and dedication goes into serving us students food. I also agree that sometimes it is hard thanking people who work at the dinning hall just because they are busy or we don’t see them often. I try my hardest to thank those who serve me when thy do, but often times everything is self serve.