RubyFrost > SnapDragon

I didn’t go to Apple Fest last year because I’d thought it wouldn’t be worth it. I thought, I could get some apple cider, which I could easily get in a dining hall, or I could finish my work. And of course, I chose my work. But this year I chose to go. And I didn’t just see apple cider. I witnessed the apple’s essential contribution to the local economy. From apple pizza to funnel cake, people came from all over to show off what they could do with an apple. There were plates and plates of slices of many different kinds of apples to try. It was interesting to see how much effort goes into innovating something that is so often ignored, something that you only think about for a few seconds when you plop it in a paper-bag lunch. I also got to hear about the incentives behind RubyFrost and SnapDragon. I learned not only why they were named but also how their names relate to their function. Take RubyFrost, for example. The goal of making RubyFrost was to create an apple that wouldn’t brown when you cut it into slices. No one wants to open their paper-bag lunch to see some brown apple slices. It seems like a simple fix, but it targets a problem that spans a large audience. That’s what makes it technologically innovative. So yes, turns out there’s a lot more to Apple Fest than just apple cider. I can’t wait to go back.

2 thoughts on “RubyFrost > SnapDragon

1. I also thought it was about more than just apples! I think it was very enriching.

2. It sounds like you really had fun at Apple Fest! I also attended Apple Fest for the first time this year and I share in your excitement. I think for the both of us (and for many other Cornellians), we take a lot for granted. We put work ahead of everything, and we don’t value or pay attention to a lot of the cool things happening in the Ithaca community, like Apple Fest. I think all the cool things you saw and experienced at Apple Fest are just a reminder that we should let ourselves have fun and not always get bogged down by work.