An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

Just before heading down to Ithaca Commons on Saturday (September 30), a group of Scholars and I gathered in the Rose Common Room to learn about the significance of apples to Cornell and its surrounding community. Led by Dr. Blalock, our discussion offered a glimpse into the meaningful process of naming apples. Now, I pay more attention to the names of the apples before mindlessly eating them. I was also amazed to learn that the RubyFrost and SnapDragon apples were developed by Cornell (in partnership with the NYAG), and love that the SnapDragon was made especially for children to get their nutrition. I encourage all members of the Cornell community to take advantage of the rural and agricultural aspects of Cornell, such as the gardens, orchards, and Farmers Market, as these things are not as readily available at urban campuses like Columbia University or NYU. Finally, after going to Apple Fest and learning more about the fruit, I have ditched bananas for apples at the dining hall.

One thought on “An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away

1. I do feel the same. Before the lecture of Dr.Blalock, I regarded apple industry as a kind of old-fashioned, extremely traditional industry. I never thought that even for a seemly normal kind of apple like RubyFrost/SnapDragon, numerous professions/experts contribute so much to offer these great quality apples for us.