Improving Child Welfare with Kristof

I was very excited to go see the NYT journalist Nicholas Kristof speak in Kennedy Hall. The book that he co-authored with his wife, Half the Sky, has been one of my favorites. He started off with talking about how the equality of opportunity is robbed of most children, since they have many factors against them from the start. If their mother used alcohol or drugs while pregnant, the child will suffer the consequences and setback from the start. Comparably, children in underdeveloped countries have to make do on deficient diets. The lack of nutrition not only stunts their physical growth, but their mental development as well.

Kristof stressed the necessity of investing in the futures of disadvantaged people. Oftentimes, a small act of help can culminate in a huge change in a community. Investing in girls’ education or putting in the effort to help an otherwise disadvantaged person can have huge payoffs in their life. Not only will their life be better off, but they can build up and improve their hometown.

Kristof’s basic message was that anyone can help make a change. It made me examine my own goals and actions in community service. How much am I really helping by just volunteering at a couple of resource centers? Couldn’t my efforts be more useful hands on helping the homeless or otherwise disadvantaged? Why don’t I skip my weekly starbucks and instead donate to a cause that is making meaningful, lasting change? I really began to examine my own privilege and distance from real issues. Overall, it was a very motivating and inspiring message. I’m super glad I went to the event, and will keep an eye out for his pieces in the Times.