Fake News: Not Just Trump

Last week I went to Professor Schwarz’s Rose Cafe on fake news, and when asked to define fake news, it took a second before I could come up with something.  The literal definition of fake news is news that is fake, but it has taken on a different meaning since Donald Trump coined the term.  Trump uses the term fake news to attack stories about him that he does not like, making his supporters dislike the media and become wary about the news released about him.  But, I never realized how much of the news is actually fake.  Just two days ago, Tom Petty went into cardiac arrest, and many news outlets were reporting that he had passed away, when in fact he was still alive, but had just been taken off of life support.  He did pass away sadly later that night, but this example reminded me about what Professor Schwarz said about news outlets such as CNN being “fake” because of their rush to be the first to break a story- in doing so, they do not fact check as much, and this leads to them being wrong more often than other news outlets that wait a few minutes longer to post “breaking news.”  In addition, almost all news outlets have a political leaning as well as a bias, which provides different versions of the same events.  For example, when looking at the recent events surrounding the NFL, some outlets discuss how the NFL is taking a stance against racism, while other outlets discuss how Americans should stand for the national anthem.  While discussing the same event, the biases and leanings produce different versions of events.  I found this talk very informative and interesting.