Imperfect Kings

Walking into the room, I honestly had very low expectations of The King’s Speech since Academy Awards aren’t always right in my opinion. I am glad I was proven very wrong and that this movie was actually a beautiful story. While still vastly unrelatable (not all of us are royalty that have to worry about our image and reputation all the time), the movie boiled down to a very basic societal problem; pride rules all. It is hard for people to let go of their pride, admit their weaknesses, and seek help. This was especially true for the king who thought Lionel was lesser than him. It was nice to see the king eventually accept Lionel and ultimately improve his speech skills, but the movie all-in-all was cliche. It was the same generic prideful main character realizes he’s human too after he’s lost something; however, I don’t know how else the movie could’ve played out.

I like that the Rose events aren’t just about modern, fun movies like Moana because a movie like The King’s Speech has more depth and seriousness to it. I hope to see more events like these!