APPLES ON APPLES

I found AppleFest to be a great way to meet my fellow Rose scholars as well as an opportunity to explore Ithaca. I was excited — albeit a bit nervous — to indulge in apple pizza. Thankfully, the pizza ended up being a great meal! Prior to this event, I was unaware of Cornell’s role in the apple economy. I was unaware of the apples developed at Cornell and the laws prohibiting certain apples from being farmed in certain states. I was also unaware that you can patent the DNA of an apple — preventing any other farm or company from growing it. Overall, I found the lecture on the apple economy and my visit to AppleFest to be a wonderful event.

2 thoughts on “APPLES ON APPLES

1. I can’t believe I didn’t see the apple pizza being sold, but I’m glad you had a good experience with it! I agree with you, I thought the event was just going to be a fun time heading down and spending money, but the morning lesson was also very interesting! I actually looked up more about these club apples and find out many interesting facts about the agribusiness world.

2. I saw the apple pizza but didn’t try it (I’m not a fan of pineapple pizza so I wasn’t sure if I’d like apple pizza)! It was really cool seeing so many people come out to Apple Fest!