Apples, Apples, and More Apples!

Having just gone to my very first Apple Fest, I was surprised by all the baked goods and other types of food that can be made with apples. From apple cider to apple loaf to apple pizza, there sure was a variety to choose from! I was surprised to learn during our talk with Professor Blalock prior to going to the Apple Fest that Cornell actually grows SnapDragon and RubyFrost. If I just heard these names out of context, I would have never guessed that these were names of apples. However, thinking about these words and the imagery we get from hearing these words makes it more obvious why these names were chosen. I think it is really interesting how much effort and meaning people put into naming things, whether it is food or some other product. As consumers, I do not think we really think twice about why something is named a certain way. I would think that SnapDragon and RubyFrost are unique names for apples but I would never question why they are given these names. Now, I feel like I will be much more observant of the names of apples when I go purchase them and try to figure out why they might be named this way. Since I’ve never actually paid attention to the types of apples, I was surprised to see many different kinds of them sold at Apple Fest!

One thought on “Apples, Apples, and More Apples!

1. I love Apple Fest! This is my second time going and its so much fun drinking apple cider and eating all the samples!