Ruth Magreta and Agriculture in Rural Malawi

Last week I attended the Rose Cafe with Ruth Magreta, a visiting fellow from the STAARS program. Ruth is from a village in Malawi, and is currently a doctoral student studying agriculture and resource economics. I found her talk to be very inspiring, and when she spoke of how she got where she is, I was struck by Ruth’s strength, resilience, and determination. She mentioned many times that, while she did endure struggles during her childhood, she did not realize the magnitude of them until after she had more exposure to the rest of the world. Hearing her speak about her early experiences, it was impossible not to notice her love for her village and country. Ruth was never negative about her upbringing. Instead, she spoke about how her background has motivated her to study maize farmers effected by climate change. The personal connection she brings to her work is so evident, and I could not help but to be inspired by her dedication to improving the lives of others.

I am so glad that I was able to hear Ruth’s talk. She is an amazing woman who is clearly capable of effecting significant change. From what I’ve heard, it seems that she is a force to be reckoned with.

One thought on “Ruth Magreta and Agriculture in Rural Malawi