The Power of Education

During the Wednesday Rose Café, Ruth Magreta gave a presentation about Malawi and her research on maize. The part of the presentation that had a lasting impact on me was when she talked about education. She talked about her experience going to primary school, secondary school, and university in Malawi. The part when she talked about believing in education and her conversation with her friend stuck with me. Through her presentation, it was clear that she cares about her country and wants to help it through her research. It inspired me to believe more in education myself and to take more advantage of the opportunities that are given to me at Cornell. The knowledge that I will gain from my classes will help me immensely in the future. I should focus more on enjoying what I am learning rather than what my grade in the class will be because in the future I am going to remember what I learned and not necessarily the grade I got in the class. Her presentation also inspired me to embrace learning more not just in the classroom, but also outside of it. I want to join more clubs and be more involved in the Cornell community because I can learn valuable life skills through all my experiences at Cornell. Lastly, I hope to find what I am truly passionate about at Cornell and to have the courage to pursue it fearlessly in the future.

2 thoughts on “The Power of Education

1. I couldn’t agree with this more. It’s very easy for us to get stuck in our Cornell bubble and forget the opportunity we’ve been given. As a transfer student, I can definitely say that there is a drastic difference in opportunities offered by different schools, and there is no way we can take what Cornell offers us for granted. It is up to us to recognize the privilege we have been given, and to take charge of it, achieving the best we can with this blessing.

2. I agree with this statement…it’s very easy for us to get caught up in grades because we cannot that they are important, but this sometimes limits our opportunity to learn by making us less receptive to the knowledge we can acquire here, and more focused on the outcome. Having someone like Ruth come speak to us really helped balance the perspective on education and how privileged we are to have the opportunity to come to a university and have this opportunity to learn.