The Botanical Gardens and Science

This past weekend I went on a tour of the Cornell Botanical Gardens. At this time of year, they are especially beautiful and the walk was a nice break during the beginning of prelim season. We had a very knowledgable guide who pointed out and explained so many interesting things about the history of the gardens. One of the places she mentioned was Barbara McClintock’s field and field house where the first jumping genes were identified. It was really cool to see a place where research was done that ultimately lead to a Nobel Prize. McClintock’s work at a time when women were not allowed to do that kind of research was inspiring, that with persistence, women can continue to made strides in science in the face of stereotypes and resistance. It was also a reminder of how diverse and talented the Cornell community can be and that the work we do here can have a real and meaningful impact on the world.

2 thoughts on “The Botanical Gardens and Science

1. Since this was posted in September, I can picture how beautiful the botanical gardens were! As an entomology student, I frequent the botanical gardens and Beebee Lake. Cornell is such a ethereal school with a beautiful campus.

2. That’s a great piece of trivia about the gardens! The only times I’ve visited the plantations, have been just been casual walks with friends – never with a guide, so I’m now wondering just how much history and trivia I’ve been missing out on. It’s also really reassuring to hear that about such a high-achieving example of any person, any study.