Discovering Something New

Last Saturday, I was completely charmed by the tour of Cornell’s Botanical Gardens. I was truly impressed with the variety of flowers, herbs, and trees that were displayed there. I had heard that the gardens were a nice place to visit, but I had no idea that they were so close to campus. I can certainly see myself walking over in the future to relax and admire the flowers.

I especially liked hearing facts and stories about the gardens from our tour guide. For example, I learned that beyond the paths that we visited, they actually manage over 3,400 acres of natural areas, including the area around Beebe Lake. I also enjoyed hearing about the history of the language of flowers. The symbolism has carried on for so long, and it seems incredible that a message can be sent with such detail. Each flower and each color can have powerful implications.

I assumed that the Botanical Gardens closed during the winter, so I was surprised to discover that, although most of the gardens are covered, the “Winter Garden” remains open. The Winter Garden includes an array of plants, bushes, and trees that look cheerful during the cold season. Some of the trees have branches that twist and curl to form fascinating shapes, and the bushes offer bright red berries.  I look forward to stopping by later this year and seeing exactly what the greenery looks like when dusted with snow.

One thought on “Discovering Something New