The King’s Fears

Tonight I watched The King’s Speech as a Rose event. Although I had heard unfavorable reviews, about ten minutes into the movie, I realized these views were unfounded. Not only were the actors very good and expertly played the characters (some of which were very difficult to play), but they did not overdo it, which I see often in movies where actors are playing significant real-life characters. I think that this movie really deserved the acclaim and accolades it received upon release.

In addition, I think that the movie did a good job of making King George seem relatable by exposing his fears, not only of disappointing family and the English people, but also disappointing himself. It made me realize the separation between the expectations others put on us and the expectations we tend to put on ourselves. Personally, I think I am harder on myself than others are, which is true of everyone in certain situations. We want to ultimately exceed others’ expectations in the hopes of  impressing ourselves.

The film also made the King’s speech therapist seem relatable by exposing his fears and disappointments. I thought the movie was partly about him. Although he seemed like a regular, loving father and husband, he led a secret life for part of the movie. I thought it was extraordinary how his wife was so shocked that he had such an important client. It really portrayed how seemingly normal people can lead special lives.