A Visit to the Farmer’s Market

Last Saturday, I had a great opportunity to go with fellow rose scholars to the local farmer’s market. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect, as its been many years since I’ve been to any farmer’s market. To say the least, I was pleasantly surprised. The food — something I’ll touch on later — was amazing. I also really enjoyed the local atmosphere, with a nice venue, great waterfront views, music, and participation of many different local farms, craftsman and eateries. I was surprised to learn that the farmer’s market wasn’t a one-time thing, and that it actually was open regularly throughout the fall and spring! Before I get to the food, I have to address how in some ways, the trip was an enlightening experience. To escape the stress of classes and impending exams, and get to meet local members of the Ithaca community in a social setting was something that I haven’t had many experiences to do.

Going back to the food, there were a plethora of different tastes and cuisines one could try. I enjoyed meals from two different places: wood stoved pizza from a local pizza stall and some lo mein from the thai cuisine stall. Both of the food items were great, although I must admit the portion size for the lo mein was a bit small. Regardless, after the meal I also went to a stall that was serving an assortment of Indian snacks and drinks. I tried one of the vegetable samosas, which was splendid, alongside an organic iced chai. I must admit, the organic iced chai was amongst the best chilled drinks I’ve ever had. I’ve included a picture of it below.

10/10 would recommend

2 thoughts on “A Visit to the Farmer’s Market

1. I’m glad you hd such a great experience at the Ithaca Farmer’s market. My favorite feature of the market was the local farming. It might have all been in my head, but the food tasted much fresher and much more delicious. It was great to talk to farmers who grew the food- knowing the people who grew the apples you were eating made them taste that much better. As for beverages, the Kombucha I bought was one of the best chilled drinks I’ve ever had.