A Day in the Farmer’s Market

Last Saturday, I had the chance to go to the Farmer’s Market and I truly enjoyed the novel experience.  When I arrived at the Farmer’s Market with my friends, we were in awe of the different local vendors and the different types of cuisine’s that were served.  I started with the honey vendor who was selling natural honey.  On his right, he had live bees in their honeycomb creating what was to be our special treat.  When he handed me a sample and said “Try it!”, I tasted the natural honey and knew this was not something I could get at any retail chain like Shoprite or Walmart.  Unfortunately, the honey was out of my budget for the day and so I had to move along to other vendors.

I think the most fascinating part of the entire experience was seeing how local farmers and vendors come to one common location and share their product with the greater Ithaca community.  As I continued to walk around, I remembered that I didn’t drink my daily cup of joe that morning.  Since I was at the Farmer’s Market, however, I thought I would try something new.  I stood in line at one coffee shop and ordered a Kombucha.  To my dismay, Kombucha was not a type of coffee as I had thought it would be.  However, it was a sweetened black tea that supposedly had a lot of health benefits.  After taking a few sips, I was surprised by how savory this drink was and how I never heard of it before.

The overall experience at the Farmer’s Market was incredible and I hope to further explore the market even more when my parents visit next month!

One thought on “A Day in the Farmer’s Market

1. I think your experience of the farmers market mirrors what Cornell is like as a whole. I remember my first day and immediately I met people from various backgrounds who all had compelling stories. Everyone on campus has something unique about them and by pursuing their ambitions, they share their talent with everyone else, ultimately making Cornell the wonderful place it is.