Terrifying Technology

Last Friday, I watched my first ever episode of Black Mirror and to say the least, I was definitely shocked. One of my friend’s had told me what the general idea of the series was, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. This episode had to do with an implant that gave you the ability to go back and watch everything you had ever seen. The main plot of this episode was that the main protagonist’s wife had had an affair in the past, and he kept on replaying every single little event that contributed to it, eventually leading to him ripping out the implant out of his body because it had essentially taken over his whole life.  There have many times where I have thought about having unique abilities such as the power to read someone’s mind, but watching this episode made me reconsider my previous position. I have come to the conclusion that technology has the power to kill a human, quite literally, because it can drive you absolutely crazy. What’s even scarier is that in today’s day and age, we have an ever-increasing dependence on technology, and the more this escalates, the more problems will be created that could have been avoided if it were not for the paranoia that is a result of technology that enables us to replay every moment of our life. If it hadn’t been for that implant, the protagonist wouldn’t have become obsessed with his wife’s past. This episode created a lot of food for thought, because you don’t really think about these things until you see them in action. I look forward to watching more episodes to see what other issues the world could face.