Martian Dream: Growing Potatoes and Hope

I was always asked the question – what would you bring if you were left on a deserted island knowing you can never come back to civilization? I would think very seriously and pretend I really know the only three items I’d be living with the rest of my life. However, I really don’t know how I would feel if I was left alone-hopeless on Mars, abandoned by the team, suffering with limited food and water.

How does it feel to be so fortunate to survive after severe injury, but only to find out there is only around 300 days left until starving to death. The most memorable part, however, was that Mark did not take the time to mourn over death, but to solve one problem after another until the rescue team comes–or not. He always have that positive attitude, that make this whole story even funny to watch. He joked about his hopeless situation, “complained” about captain’s horrible music taste, and moved on after failures.

I’m not a big fan of movies like this, mainly because I think they are too imaginary and does not really have implications in our reality and the stressful life we are dealing with especially at Cornell. However, I do think this movie offers something more. The whole world was concerned of Mark’s situation, and they all shed tears when he was finally rescued. China gave up their own program to help rescuing this astronaut. That is the beauty of humanity, and it is especially important under the current unstable, insecure environment we are experiencing. The movie broadcasted the idea that China is not the “source of evil” but a partner to the rescue, and the world shared their emotions as if it is one family, united. Why can’t this be the reality?