Black Mirror- The Extent to which our Faded Memories become a Reality

When I was watching Black Mirror last week, I initially thought how helpful it would be to have the ability to look over your actions, and other people’s actions throughout your life to see if there was something that you missed. Many times, when people get caught up in a particular moments, they lose sight of other events happening around them which results in them not being able to correctly predict what their next moves should be. For example, say that I am going to a business meeting and I am so preoccupied with making sure that I can say everything correctly,that I am not at the moment paying attention to anybody else’s body language or expressions in the room. Later, I can go look back at my presentation and notice the facial expressions and body language my team members are making to see whether or not they actually liked what I had to say in the presentation. I can then go back and use this as a learning experience to change the way I present, or the content of my presentation. However, without this technology, I would rely on my memory of what my workers’ expressions were when I made the presentation, and sometimes this memory can have flaws. This would causeĀ  excess worrying, and my mind possibly making up alternatives to the situation that didn’t really happen.

However, all technology has positives and negatives, and while a major positive of this technology is that it allows us to reflect about our actions and use them as a learning reference, it also prevents us from “living in the moment”. If we were able to relive every moment of our lives, we would never be able to move forward. For example, if bad events happen to us. There may be a temptation for people to keep viewing those bad events, and having thoughts as to what they could have done to prevent a situation. This would lead excessive obsession with the past which isn’t healthy. That’s why it is important for technologies such as this one to have restrictions. This technology could possibly be remodeled so that these stored memories delete after 24 hours similar to the Snapchat model.

Overall, I would not be comfortable having this technology be used mainstream. Although it can be very useful, I feel that everybody will make their selves slightly crazy with over-analyzing all their moves and other people’s moves around them. I think that people must focus to appreciate the past, but always move forward because this type of technology makes it appear that the past is the reality which isn’t true. This technology will be very stressful for people long-term.