Resolutions…Blah!

When I was younger, I made my share of New Year’s resolutions. They were things that I thought were attainable, like resolving to reward myself with a nice vacation. Every year I’d start planning and saving and making sure I stayed on track, right from day one. I also resolved to work with my favorite charity, making donations or participating in their annual fundraiser. Then I started making those all-too-common, more challenging resolutions… eat less refined sugar, lose 10 pounds, exercise more, walk 15 minutes a day…. Every year I’d start out great, thinking I would stick to the plan and successfully meet the goals I set for myself. Inevitably, somewhere along the way, the resolutions were broken. I was disappointed and I resolved not to make any more resolutions. This one has stuck! It appears that I’m very good at not making resolutions.

So, when I was asked to write a blog about resolutions, I could not get started. I asked my daughter, who cheerfully responded that it was okay not to make resolutions. Smiling at me, she stated that today more people are making “intentions”. Intention! That’s just another way to say “resolution”! I asked what the difference was. Her response was that intentions are a kinder, more mindful way of making resolutions. Intentions allow you to be less harsh on yourself if you stray from your path.

Intentions…I thought about it, and I can appreciate the subtle difference. Although I will not be making any resolutions for this New Year, I don’t want to discourage you from making any of your own. Whether you plan to make resolutions or intentions, I wish you good luck, and a safe, happy, healthy New Year!

All Blogs are written by Professionals in the fields of Nutrition, Human Development and Diabetes.

Back To Top