Craigs Creamery Sharp Cheddar Cheese Earns a Gold Award at the New York State Fair in 2019.

We test all kinds of products here at the Sensory Evaluation Center, from wine and cheese to apples or burgers.  Often I get questions from the panelists who participated in studies about the products they tasted or the outcome of the research.  Coming out of the sensory booths, a panelist sometimes would tell me the three-digit code of the sample that was their “favorite” in a study and ask me its identity so that they can buy it in a store.  Usually, I am not able to tell them, as most of the studies we run involve prototype products still early in development process.  However, I can give a short update on the Artisan Cheese Research Project that the Center ran for the past few years.

Since late 2016 Cornell Sensory Evaluation Center together with the Cornell Food Processing and Development Laboratory (FPDA) has been working closely with Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) http://www.dfamilk.com/ to help them develop and sensorially optimize several types of artisanal hard cheeses under the new Craigs Creamery brand.    Members of Cornell Artisan Cheese Descriptive Panel evaluated multiple rounds of different cheeses produced in the FPDL (Pilot Plant), while, later in the development process, the Center conducted several large-scale consumer studies testing optimized product samples. 

The result of this collaboration is a great line of new artisanal cheeses that are now on the market.  And it’s not just me saying that.  The expert panel of judges at the annual Dairy Products Competition at the New York State Fair agree.  The Craigs Creamery Sharp Cheddar cheese earned Gold Award in the 2019 Dairy Products Competition for Class 2, “Aged Cheddar” cheese.  (See press release attached). 

Thank you for participating and helping us develop great locally made cheddar cheese!  Thank you for supporting NY state Dairy industry!