A Tchaikovsky rendition by Cornell Symphony Orchestra

Last Sunday was the first time I heard the Cornell symphony orchestra perform. They took their audience on an hour and a half long journey at Bailey hall. I remember seeing their posters all of campus and I was so excited that they would be playing Tchaikovsky. I listen to Tchaikovsky and other classical composers when I need to do some deep mode studying. They played a favorite of mine Romeo and Juliet. It’s one of those pieces that everyone has heard, but they just don’t know the name of it. I even saw some acquaintances in the orchestra that I had no clue would be there. I enjoyed the guest director because he smiled a lot and shook the hands of the first stand each time he came out. I grew up playing the violin so I was excited to see a performance. I love looking at the left hand of the string players because I like seeing their fingers work and how effortlessly and swift the whole process is. Just thinking about how we are able to do two things at once, moving your left hand moving across the four strings doing vebrato and then your right hand has the bow increasing and decreasing the volume and crossing strings, and on top of it all your eyes are reading the music and you are counting without looking at your hands. The whole process seems nonchalant, while doing it, but when you take a minute to reflect on all that is happening you realize just how beautiful it is .

One thought on “A Tchaikovsky rendition by Cornell Symphony Orchestra

1. That sounds wonderful. I wish I knew about this event earlier. It is always exciting to watch musicians perform pieces that took months to practice and perfect.