Educational Paths

This edition of Rose Buzz featured Dr. Julia Felippe and Dr. Andre Kessler, experts in their respective fields, talking about the experiences that led them to where they are now. Both of them grew up outside of the United States, which made it interesting to hear about how they eventually made it to Ithaca to pursue their respective subjects.

Something that I appreciated was the emphasis both speakers placed on diversity in experiences. As a student, I’m often under the impression that my choices have the utmost weight on my future. It feels to myself like I’m putting in great amounts of work, so the effect of that work must somehow become proportional to my standing that I’ll achieve later in life. But as Dr. Felippe pointed out, a career is built up of many experiences and choices; it’s not going to be determined by any single factor, but exists rather as an aggregate of your time in pursuit of your subject. Dr. Kessler’s experiences seemed to be driven by his passion for biology, irregardless of where it may lead him; but his passion served as a strong drive, and in the end, it took him so far that it led him into an expert position in his field. I really appreciated hearing this week’s interview, because it helps me put my academics into perspective. Individual moments are important to me in the present, but the most important thing is that I consistently do what I love.