Abstractions up for auctions

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-city-dad-auctions-4489708

While I am certain that this isn’t the first case of this, but something that isn’t a physical object has been put in monetary auction. In this case, it is this man’s son’s “future football love.” Depending on who wins the auction, he will raise the child to be a fan of the respective team the bidder roots for. The money will apparently go to some charity to help premature babies.

The point here though is that something rather abstract, that isn’t really a service, is being put up for auction for bids. If such rather abstract concepts are able to be sold in an auction, could we see in the future actions and/or other non-standard ideas be auctioned off? I personally find it a bit off-putting that such strange things are being given monetary valuations, and I worry just a tad bid that this could be a seed of a trend where really random things get put up on auction for fun/no purpose. On one hand it is interesting because in a sense it does make sense to auction things like this off because as long as people are willing to pay the evaluation for it, there isn’t a problem right? However, if taken as a joke auction sites could lose some of their integrity and purpose.