The Nature all Around Ithaca

Sometimes, it can be extremely easy to fall back under the immediate needs of our attention – classes, assignments, our grades, and our friends. We are so caught up in our daily lives that we forget to take a look around our surroundings. We forget to realize that we are living in a unique landscape, with beautiful scenery and historic background. We forget Ithaca and all that it has to offer.

This talk was about the importance of keeping Ithaca’s nature alive, the need to protect its land. As disappointing as it is, the fact is that while we are studying in Ithaca, there are people fighting to preserve its natural landmarks. This is precisely what Andy Zepp, an ILR alumni from Cornell dedicates his time to. He is the Executive Director of Finger Lakes Land Trust, an organization dedicated to the preservation of natural bodies of water, land, and gorges here in Ithaca. This organization allows for owners of historic/scenic land to provide security of that land and to maintain it for future generations to enjoy the land. I had no idea that Ithaca is the home to the greatest number of waterfalls within a 10-mile radius in all of North America. This is something worth fighting for and protecting. Another land that is part of the Finger Lakes Land Trust is the Finger Lakes trails that extends thousands of miles, almost passing through the city and going through the hill country. Not only was this a beautiful trail with the quintessential wildlife that characterizes upstate New York, but it is also a place where I would like to visit during my time at Cornell.

This talk was very valuable to me because little did I know about the conservation efforts that are presently occurring. I consider myself someone who is passionate about preserving our nature, as I do much research on how regulation and new laws can affect our environment, such as the passing of the Keystone Pipeline XL. I admire Andy on his efforts, and I think that attending this event has opened my eyes to the importance of taking an active part in my own community to help preserve the nature that is exposed to risk.

One thought on “The Nature all Around Ithaca

1. I find this post really insightful to the many problems faced by the conflict of ‘taking care of the environment as a priority’ versus ‘pushing the limits of human development and advancement’ as a priority’. As student at a university, it can be really difficult at times to step out from the bubble of school, work, and personal social joys and health concerns to recognize our responsibility to taking care of the world around us. The work done by Mr. Zepp and his organization is an incredible step towards preserving the beauty found in the nature around us, and serves as a perfect example of how any individual, with the right motivation, can do their part to help save a little part of the world from being destroyed and forgotten forever.