Ties Between China and Cambodia

For this Becker-Rose Café, Professor Andrew Mertha of Cornell’s Department of Government substituted Professor Benny Widyono and compiled a short talk about his research and discoveries in China, particularly it’s bureaucracy. I really enjoyed the talk that Professor Mertha held because he made it humorous and a lot his experiences were full of vigor and vivid detail. In a lucky turn of events, he found a bunch of old and secret documents that were allegedly blueprints of missile plans and factories. But on a serious note, his search was originally revolved around learning about China’s influence in Cambodia, but he ultimately did not find what he was looking for. I think that this shows how disorganized and difficult the Chinese government is, and likewise with what Professor Mertha has said, China has a lot to fix.

2 thoughts on “Ties Between China and Cambodia

1. I was not able to attend this cafe, but it sounds like it was really interesting! I know very little about the Chinese government, but I love learning about international relations and China’s influence on Cambodia seems like an interesting topic that requires more exploration.

2. It is counter-intuitive to think that China can be so disorganized as it seems to have strict control over its people. I guess with a government and bureaucracy as large as China’s it is difficult to maintain control over every possible policy, so I can see how things could get out of hand.