Know Who to Ask

Laura Rodriguez de Simons’ gave an important lecture on her social work last week. She let people know about the private support that The Advocacy Center offers for victims of domestic violence. It’s incredibly important that people know how to get help when they need it in any context, especially one as personal and impactful as abuse.

Besides informing us about The Advocacy Center, Laura also explained the types of obligations that staff at Cornell have when faced with information about abuse. For example, for the most part, professors and GRFs are required to report knowledge of abuse to the school, but there are a few people including herself who have no such obligation. Not only is it important to know to get help, but it is just as important to know who to ask for help. If one wants his or her situation to be private, then it is vital to know who does and does not have to report to the school. This type of information can get to the school easier than one might imagine. Just last week I heard about a professor at a different school who had to tell her college about a situation involving one of her students because that student’s friend informed her about it. People must know all of their options, so they can make the best and most educated decisions for themselves.

5 thoughts on “Know Who to Ask

• It’s not that I’m not fond of it or think it’s unethical, but I think it is difficult to balance confidentiality for the abused and transparency in what goes on at the school.

• Yeah, I think this was one of the issues that was discussed briefly in the talk. While it is important to preserve the confidentiality of the individual, university requirements have said that any official must report. I think Professor Blalock also chipped in about the issue. Even if it seems unethical, the rules were made because many colleges and university were under government pressure because they were seen as “hiding” crimes and so they have to report.

1. Laura’s explanation of the obligations different individuals on reporting is super useful. It is definitely helpful to know for someone who is seeking help.

2. I bet the discussion going on during and after this event were heated. I wish I could have been there, but I have a 7:30P.M class on Wednesdays