We have AMAZING musical talent here at Cornell

Sunday I attended Cornell Symphony Orchestra’s performance. Before learning of this performance I was unaware that our orchestra offered free concerts for the public. That being said, this was an amazing performance. The students in the orchestra must practice for hours and hours and hours every week to accomplish that level of perfection.

Sitting in the audience was an amazing experience. As I listened to the music generated by those on stage, it seemed unreal that such a beautiful piece could be created from all the different parts played by so many different people. It is absolutely amazing how students from so many places and backgrounds can come together to create such an astounding piece of music.

One thing I found fascinating was how in-sync everyone was, you could see the bows of an entire section moving as one. This says so much about the level of experience of each orchestra member and the conductor himself. I remember back in elementary school, I used to play viola in the school’s orchestra. The hardest part was not learning the music and my part but, simply being in-sync and playing at the right time. Attending this performance raised my appreciation for those who create music, they make it look so easy, even though I know they put countless hours into each piece.

I hope everyone can go attend some performances in their time at Cornell, and witness some of the amazing talent that is all around us.

2 thoughts on “We have AMAZING musical talent here at Cornell

1. I absolutely adore music, and from your post it sounds like the Symphony Orchestra is phenomenal. I’d really love to go see them! I’ve played clarinet for 10 years, and while the instrument is certainly very difficult in its own way, I think your point about timing and bowing in string instruments is valid. My best friend is a violinist who has played in national competitions and she always tells me that playing solos might actually be easier than playing in an orchestra because there are specific points in the music where all members need to play notes “up bow” or “down bow” so that they look good on stage. As a clarinet player, I can confidently say that I’ve never had to deal with that, but, like I said before, every instrument definitely does have its own challenges. I’m glad you had a good time at the concert!

2. This sounds like a great experience!! I have actually never been to an Orchestra performance here at Cornell, and after reading about it I will be sure to attend one next semester. I think that events like these should be promoted more often, and that they deserve the same amount of coverage that other dance groups and acapella groups get.