An Afternoon of Stellar Music

Today I had the privilege of attending one of Cornell Symphony Orchestra’s performances in Bailey Hall. I was thoroughly impressed by the students’ abilities. Their dedication and passion for their craft shined through their repertoire. Today they played Ludwig’s Fanfare for Sam, Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet Overture-Fantasy, Sibelius’s, and Symphony No. 2 in D Major, op. 43. My favorite piece was Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Juliet. The music was an accurate representation of the critical events of the play as well as the characters and their relationships. It began with a gentle chorale, which signified the voice of Friar Lawrence. The brash, hurried tempo that followed illustrated the feud between the Capulets and Montagues. As the piece began to wind to an end, the intensity began to wane, thereby exemplifying the play’s tragedy.

Overall, I left Bailey Hall with an increased appreciation for classical music. It reminded me of my own days as a member of the orchestra from elementary school to the end of my sophomore year of high school. Also, I highly admire the orchestra students – it was clear that they had spent a lot of time perfecting their performance.

This was a wonderful event and I look forward to attending more student performances such as this one.

One thought on “An Afternoon of Stellar Music