Interesting New Show

Like with the previous Friday Film, I entered knowing nothing about the showing content. While I had previously heard of the Queen’s Gambit, I had no idea what the show was about, so I was watching the episode with a bit of confusion at firstThen, as the episode progressed and Beth’s journey with chess began it made me really wish I had known the basics of the game in order to truly appreciate her skills. However, I still enjoyed other aspects of the show such as the exploration of themes and topics such as early addictionsexism, and coming of age all through a young girl’s perspective within a historical context.  

In terms of the technical aspects of the show, I really enjoyed the overall cinematography. When Beth initially arrived at the orphanage, I was set on the idea that the show was a horror one. Specifically, because of the controlling character of the orphanage’s director paired with the overall gray cast lighting, the show gave me an eerie vibe. Eventually, I realized I was wrong in my initial assumptions, but still, the settings, lighting, and overall technical composition shown in the first episode worked well with the themes touched upon. I admit I was frustrated that the episode ended with that cliffhanger, but it definitely has me drawn to watch the next episode! 

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by cm856. Bookmark the permalink.