Hope in Skating

For the first week back in Rose Scholars, I attended the Friday Movie Night and watched United Skates. I was initially intrigued by the film reading the description because in my hometown both roller rinks had closed. As I watched the film I was amazed at the devotion the people in the film had for their hobby and the sense of community the roller rinks provided. I had no idea of the magnitude of the activity. Despite the unfortunate reality that is facing the people in that community as the rinks are being shut down around the country, it was inspirational to see people coming together from across the country to attend National Skate Parties to keep the traditions alive. I think my favorite part of the film was the section where they were showing all of the customized roller skates. As a kid, I had very basic department store skates, and I would never have guessed that people customized skates like the ones shown in the film.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by ejm372. Bookmark the permalink.

One thought on “Hope in Skating

1. Wow! After reading your post, I think I’m going to watch United Skates. I can see that you are passionate about skating and would like to see more of these skating rinks open. Do you think that in the future the number of rinks will jump back up or continue to go down?