The Art of Origami

Coming into this event, I felt more confident than some of the prior arts and crafts event hosted by the Rose Schools Program, particularly the ones involving paint. I’ve always loved art, but I don’t think I’ve been particularly good in it. With origami, I’ve always felt safe due to its very precise nature-one fold here, another crease there and voila, a crane! With painting, there’s a lot of uncertainty with how the final product may come out to be like. One smudge in the wrong place, and the painting can easily go awry. The first few activities were pretty easy to follow, but the frog one had me completely confused. With origami, you also have to be careful of the shape and size of the folds, just as you’d need to be cognizant of it in painting. But one wrong fold in origami, and you come out with something completely disparate than what you intend to make, whereas with painting, you can probably improvise to make the mistake into something else! Nonetheless, the activity was quite therapeutic in the midst of finals!