Thinking About Grad School

The seminar about planning for grad school, hosted by Zach, helped me plan for my future and ask different questions about entering higher education that I had not previously considered. I plan on applying to veterinary schools which I think eases my process a little bit because I have decided what I want to study and it is a pretty big field with lots of opportunities and programs. I still have to look into specific schools with different focuses and unique qualities, but I think there will be a lot of varieties of schools that cater to my interest, unlike someone with a very niche specialty that might have trouble finding programs for that study at many schools. I do not know how this application will differ from other graduate program applications, but this seminar taught me that I should reach out to students in programs at different schools to learn more about the application and life at that school. I also have to think about other factors of different schools like what it is like to live there, the specific curricular focuses of each school’s program, and the perspectives of current students on life and the curriculum and work or research outcomes and opportunities after the degree. Overall, this seminar helped me to start thinking about these different things early, so I can better prepare when the time comes.