Give me coffee

Last week I had the pleasure of learning more about coffee from the leaders of Gimme! coffee based in Ithaca, NY. I remember the first time I visited their flagship store in town. It was a small little boutique I went with one of my good friends. I like the street corner location and simplistic vibe that the flagship gave off. From my first impression I was very smitten by Gimme! coffee.

When I heard that people from Gimme! were coming to Rose to present and ask questions I knew I had to be there.I learned a lot about how their coffee is sourced. I learned that the company sends an employee to Central America to meet with one of the farmers in which they source their coffee from. The company strives to source free trade and ethically grown coffee. The company strives to have a close relationship with the farmers in which they source from so that they can create an effective symbiotic relationship. The company does a lot to ensure that the farmers that they source from a running under appropriate regulations and are advancing they equipment and technique to better meet their future needs. By helping those farmers Gimme! is really helping themselves. It is just that initial investment that sets the tone. It was great learning more about the actually crop and business aspect of the company.

I was unaware that there were coffee making competitions and that during those events the most popular coffees of the times tend to dominate the scene.  I found it interesting learning how intensely people study and prepare for this contest of a lifetime. I was so happy that I learned about this hidden side of the coffee industry.