Gimme Some Coffee

Last weekend I went to the Gimme coffee presentation at Rose. As an engineer, I have a severe caffeine/ coffee addiction, and I’ve always liked Gimme coffee more than any of the other coffee places on campus. I never venture far from my usual caramel latte, but I have also never been unimpressed by their seasonal specialties. So when I heard that they would be giving a presentation and coffee samples I was really excited.

I never really drink black coffee, I find it’s too bitter and strong for my sweet tooth. But I was very surprised by the coffee samples that they provided. Not only did the coffee not taste totally bitter, you could actually taste distinct flavor notes, and each of the samples smelled and tasted different.

I was surprised to learn about all the steps involved in making coffee and especially how changes in the process can make specialty coffees so much higher quality than large commercial coffee companies. The coffee making process at Gimme involves hand picking cherries, and wet or dry washing followed by roasting, and different washing methods and roast time and temperatures can heavily influence the coffee’s flavor.

I was also happy to hear about their growers, and particularly their relationship coffees, which is where they develop a professional relationship with a grower to ensure top quality and well treated workers. It is important to me to be aware of what you are supporting with your purchase power, and it makes me feel good to know that Gimme is a responsible company.