Christmas Cookies A Family Affair

My family has been making Christmas cookies for many years. We started celebrating when my children were younger by having our own crazy version of a cookie exchange that we like to call the cookie party! My children would each invite a few friends over and we could all bake cookies together. These parties started out simpler by having the kids cut out shapes using cookie cutters, baking them, and decorating them. As they got older, they would take bigger roles in making the cookies like following the recipes (under my supervision). Now, they help me pick which recipes we make and often get creative by putting their own twists on our favorites.

We love to make traditional (American) cookies and others that incorporate the flavors and ingredients of our Puerto Rican heritage. As time passed, the cookie parties grew larger. We would have cousins, aunts, and uncles join in by making the event into a cookie contest. We tried to outdo each other hoping to win prizes for the tastiest, most creative cookies.

Every year we start early looking for new recipes or experiment with trusted ones using new ingredients. Last year I made my sister a version of Linzer tarts filled with Dulce se Leche filling instead of the raspberry jam. It was definitely a keeper!  This year my daughter is trying to make Coquito macrons…I can’t wait! She has mastered the technique for making these delicious French treats and now she will attempt to blend in the flavor of Coquito. Coquito, basically a tropical version of eggnog, is a Puerto Rican favorite for the holidays made with cream of coconut and plenty of rum! My sister Maria makes the best Coquito, and she has already sent us some for the macrons. Christmas cookies at our house is always a family affair.

I hope this Holiday season you can take the time to create warm memories and bake cookies with your family.

All Blogs are written by Professionals in the fields of Nutrition, Human Development and Diabetes.

Back To Top