Great Advice, but Hard to Apply

I feel like Professor Schwarz lecture  should have been called how to succeed in the College of Arts and Sciences. Don’t get me wrong, his advice sounded good and I’m sure a lot of people found it beneficial, but specifically I didn’t think a lot of it would be useful or easily applied in my case.

One thing he said that sounded great was to take a class based off of the professor and find good professors for your classes.  I wish I could do this but as an engineering student the majority of my classes are major required with only one lecture option for the semester I have to take them, so I really can’t take a class for the professor. This is great advice I hope to apply to my liberal arts requirements, I’m just remarking on how for the vast majority of my classes, at least at the moment, I can’t apply this advice.

He also commented about grade inflation is a problem at the school. Again I don’t think I really see this in my engineering classes but maybe I’m wrong.  I have had professors who curve the class to a B-. I had professors freshmen year said that only 5% of the class will get an A as a final grade.  I’m sure some of my other classes did have some inflation going around but I do think that it isn’t as significant of a problem in the College of Engineering.

There was definitely a lot of good in the talk and I found Professor Schwarz to be a funny and entertaining speaker who was fun to listen to and really passionate about the topic.  Even if I felt I couldn’t use some of the great advice he gave, I’m glad I went to talk because he was fun to listen to.