Anabel’s Addressing Food Insecurity

Last year, when I heard that the student assembly wanted to build a grocery store on campus, I thought they were absolutely crazy and that it would never happen. But much to my surprise, Anabel’s is opening at the beginning of next semester. This store has been born so quickly, and the students who have worked toward this store are so passionate and driven, they really deserve recognition for their hard work.

It seemed to me that the hardest issue the group faced was in convincing Cornell that food insecurity is a legitimate issue on campus. I was surprised at the number of Cornellians who had ever missed a meal due to monetary concerns. I am very excited about this grocery store, mostly because of the close availability of produce, but with its discounted merchandise and availability of subsidy money, this store has the potential to help a lot of people. Anabel’s shows the initiative of some of our student leaders, and is a demonstration of the power students can have on their campuses. We should try to be more aware of issues around us and do what we can to fix them; if you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

3 thoughts on “Anabel’s Addressing Food Insecurity

1. That’s terrific! It’s awesome that the store will be able to have such an immediate impact and help many financially. I definitely think an on-campus grocery store would also improve the eating habits of students, as they’ll be more inclined to cook some of their meals.

2. I hadn’t heard that there was a grocery store opening on campus or that it was organized by students. This sounds like a really great initiative for the Cornell community.

3. I really wish I had attended this event! I always receive emails about Anabel’s and I have yet to go! I think food insecurity is a really big issue on campus that is unaddressed. It’s cheaper and more convenient to buy a bagel at CTB or taquitos at 7-11 especially for students without a meal plan. Anabel’s offers solutions to these issues and it’s amazing that it is run by students.