Belonging

Last week’s screening of Carol at Cornell Cinema was a moving tale about two women who find each other amidst the constant motion of life. Displaying brilliant visuals and scenery, as well as featuring a stellar soundtrack, I enjoyed seeing the perspective of someone who feels like she does not fully belong. Last year in a writing class I took, we discussed queer theory, which relates to individuals who hold a characteristic that differs from the “norm,” and how they adjust to this normalized society while still maintaining their identities. This particular section of class resonated with me greatly, as I realized that though we typically associate the term “queer” with members of the LGBTQ community, we all have “queer” aspects to ourselves. For example, my minority race has always differentiated me from the caucasian “norm,” and I have had instances where I felt like I did not belong. Many others have many different defining aspects to themselves that make them feel this way. For this reason, I saw Carol as more than an LGBTQ film. It was a film about women who find their true place in the world; it was a film about belonging.

One thought on “Belonging

1. That sounds like it was an awesome film! I think it’s great that Hollywood has made a larger effort in recent years to make films about the LBGT experience. I also agree with your point that attempting to find a sense of belonging is not unique to the LBGT community.