Making the most out of one’s college years

Tonight’s Cafe series was a preview of professor Daniel Schwarz’s new book, “How to Succeed in College and Beyond.” It was interesting to hear the advice that professor Schwarz had regarding preparations for college admissions and the first year of the college experience. As a junior, I was able to reflect on my experiences and relate them to the new advice that I was receiving. Professor Schwarz seemed to have combined information on the college experience from his own personal knowledge, his students’ experiences, and from research on higher education. It also seems like he was able to use a unique interaction with people leaving comments on his Huffington Post pieces to refine his arguments. The talk also touched upon the positive aspects of tuition and the negative aspects of Greek life (both of which are quite seldom heard on campus); hearing these comments was quite refreshing, as either they resonated with some personal beliefs or simply were new arguments that caused some personal reevaluation of certain beliefs. Overall, this was another interesting talk from professor Schwarz, and now I have one more book for my bookshelf.