Life Long Learning

This week’s Rose cafe focused on how to succeed in life, before, during, and after college. Professor Schwartz began with some common themes, about taking the right classes and doing the right things to get into college. I found the more interesting part to be the discussion on what to do in college. I thought the most valuable piece of advice given was to pick classes based on teachers, not subjects. I already try to do this, but Professor Schwartz’s explanation was extremely convincing.

I also found the discussion on greek life to be fascinating. As a student who does not participate in greek life, I fundamentally agree with a lot of the things he was saying. I also think greek life prevents diversity, and promotes one way of thinking. I am glad that the Professor brought it up, because it often seems like everyone on campus is pro greek life. It was nice to learn that only 35 percent of students actually participate in the greek life, and that the negatives associated with it are recognized.

3 thoughts on “Life Long Learning

1. What does Greek life specifically bring do you think? Is it the camaraderie, connections etc.? Or is it just the party life and having fun before entering your adult years?

• I think greek life has the potential to foster camaraderie and connections, but unfortunately fails to do this in most circumstances. It should be used to create a sense of community, but I feel like it is more often used as an excuse to party and have fun.

2. That’s an interesting point you bring up about picking classes based not on the subject material but instead on the strength of the professor. My parents have always recommended that I pick classes based on my interests, and the major will sort itself out with time; however, perhaps our interests are determined by the competency of our professors. Moreover, even if you are passionate about a subject, a poor teacher makes it more difficult to maintain and grow that interest than a good one.