A New Perspective

Maybe it’s just me, but yesterday, when Professor Dan Schwarz came to speak in the Rose Cafe, I got a very paternal vibe from him. It could just be because I haven’t seen my dad since January and I’m missing him something serious or it could be because the speaker actually reminded me so much of any caring father. His book How to Succeed in College, from what I could tell, seemed like such a comprehensive piece on a subject that so many find so important. And even though I had to leave the talk early, he covered so much information in the time that I was there that I’m tempted to buy the book from the Cornell Store just so that I can read more of his advice for myself.

The first thing he discussed was senior year in high school and how choosing the right school and letting the right school “choose” you was so important to the rest of one’s life. That part clearly didn’t apply to many of us in the room, but as an older sister to a senior in high school, I felt that the tips that he gave were very relevant to my own brother’s college selection process. Something that Professor Schwarz said, though, that I found so surprising was the statistic that the Ivy Leagues, because they’re need-blind institutions, may actually cost less than some of the much smaller state schools. In fact, at Cornell, between 45 and 50% of students receive scholarships of over $35,000. I knew the financial aid packages here were super generous, but I never knew just how generous, and it made me so proud to know that I attend a school that makes the financial burden of attending such an elite institution as this easy (or easier) for over half of the student population.

Another thing that Professor Schwarz brought to my attention that I hadn’t previously realized was the concept of the “Red Zone.” According to him, this is an 8- to 12-week period at the beginning of freshman year where 3/8 of incidences such as sexual abuse, drug and alcohol abuse, and/or depression occur in a student’s life. Though an unfortunate statistic, this was a very important point that he brought up; especially to those of us who are still in school (even if we’re no longer freshmen) and to those of us who have younger siblings, cousins, and/or friends heading to college next fall.

After this, Professor Schwarz touched on the sophomore year for a moment before discussing the junior year abroad and how important he thought it to be for students to gain invaluable experience living with another culture and gaining independence. Even though I’m not going abroad, I couldn’t have agreed with him more.

Overall, I’m glad that I was able to hear all the good things Professor Schwarz had to say, and I’m glad that, in the process, it made me think of my own dad and how I only have 4 weeks left until I see him!

One thought on “A New Perspective

1. I really agree with Professor Schwarz’s opinion on the importance of studying abroad. As someone who has spent time in 4 other countries, it’s really amazing to experience and learn about other cultures. Nonetheless, I believe that it is equally important to spend time in other states. The difference between New York and Los Angeles is astounding, and even the difference between San Francisco and Los Angeles is significant. While the same federal laws apply, I felt like I was in a different country when I first traveled to the west coast and the culture shift is arguably as drastic as going to another country. In short, I believe that domestic travel can be a great way to experience a different culture and gain independence.