Start Over ?!?!

We were given a block of clay to mold into what we could envision. I envisioned a piece of art that had the form of a circular prism, but the presence of an ancient pyramid; etched into the clay would be symbols that were important to me, even if they were superficial. As a embarked upon my two hour clay making session, my reality took control.

Thinking that I was closely following the directions, my circular prism was supposed to take form in an instant, so that I could further mark my piece with etchings. Instead, The clay was starting to thin and I could get it to go into a circular. Still not frustrated because I understand that the process of art has a mind of its own, I continued. Slowly, but surely, I began to form a circular base that was separated from the rest of the clay due to great indentation. It wasn’t what I originally pictured, but it was coming along. A few minutes later, I became impatient and frustrated with my lack of talent, which led me to seek help. In seeking help, the realization that this piece wasn’t getting better hit me hard. So I did something I normally would not do…. start over.

With starting over came a new, simple vision, one that my hands could actually make happen. I wanted to make a bowl. The assistance of the workshop leaders was very useful in this structure, and it made me feel better about the fruition of my final product. Here was the final result:

My experience with the clay workshop made me think about my personal life. So often I go into situations with innocent intentions and big ideas, and life’s experiences will take me elsewhere. Sometimes those situations require me to start over – not life – but the particular processes. Though this may seem unfortunate to me most of the time, the clay workshop experience and my personal reflection, has helped me to realize that I am learning and growing in ways that I cannot imagine; nonetheless, simple ways. I’m learning not to be afraid of starting over when things don’t go as I’ve pictured, or even just new phases. Next year this time, I will be prepared to start over in a new academic setting, with different faculty members and professors, and new social circles, with new goals. Starting Over, I’m learning, does not always mean a setback. Sometimes it means switching up your direction.