Taking a Time Out

On Wednesday, I attended the Rose Café series talk given by Sarah Rubenstein-Gillis and Andrea Gerding from Gannett Health Services. The focus of the discussion was on techniques to better handle stressful situations, such as finals week. I liked that Ms. Rubenstein-Gillis and Ms. Gerding first gave some background on what exactly stress is and its’ positive, as well as negative effects. Most people can instantly identify with discomforts that stress brings, but we often forget about the benefits that a little bit of pressure can have in helping us effectively accomplish tasks. Some resistance is necessary for us to experience achievement and to survive.

Taking a course on children’s play and one on anatomy and physiology, has given me a broadened view on stress and stress-relieving activities. I echo what Ms. Rubenstein-Gillis mentioned about how important it is to take time out of one’s busy schedule to exercise and engage in fun activities. As children get older, they are given less time for free play and recess at school. This then translates to less time for fun activities as adults. Meanwhile, research has shown that play can aid in cognitive, social, and emotional skills and coping. This also connects to the point that Ms. Gerding raised of how the body cannot distinguish the difference between utilizing physical versus emotional energy. We essentially have to adapt and find ways for our brains and bodies to better adjust and relieve the stress.

During my sophomore year, I took a physical education class teaching Chi Gong. It involved both mind and body through a series of calming, repetitive movements and meditation. As of late, I have not been keeping up with practicing the moves, but it is something that I would like to pick up again. It forced me to slow down and become more in tune with my body. This was the same feeling that I had during the ten minutes of guided meditation led by Ms. Gerding. In moments of calm, we find clarity. It never hurts to feel refreshed. I would recommend that everyone at least give meditation a try even if you think it may not be for you and to take on an “I can” mindset because I think that we are often our own obstacle and creator of stress.