Balancing Life

This week was really great. I enjoyed hearing about some of the services gannet offers such as walk-in counseling, guided meditation sessions throughout campus, and help in many other areas. One thing we discussed that I want to try is using pre-studying habits to focus on work when stressed. Often times I know I have so many assignments I need to get done and when I sit down to start I get overwhelmed and can’t focus on the task at hand.

My favorite part on the talk was the meditation at the end. I felt so relaxed and happy afterwards. Before the meditation I did not even realize how tense I felt. I think I am stressed so often that I don’t even really realize what the difference between not being stressed physically feels like.

Sleep seems to be the biggest problem that everyone deals with however, I know that if I don’t get enough of sleep every night I start to feel short fused and frustrated  because it takes me much longer to get my assignments completed. I also think going days without enough of sleep makes me more prone to getting sick and then that really just makes everything much worse. It’s hard to keep a balance sometimes, but in order to feel like myself I need sleep, and time to hangout with friends, or go out otherwise just doing work is draining. I also try to make time for the gym everyday because I feel so great afterwards. I think planning in time for the gym or time to catch up on my favorite shows makes the day go by faster and gives me a break from all of the work that can be extremely overwhelming at times. I think I may try to go to one of the drop in meditations on campus as finals start to approach to decompress from all of the studying. I know this may sound strange but my favorite part of meditation is hearing the instructor’s voice, it’s so soothing. I wish they could record a guided meditation and upload it to the gannet website so that people can do a guided meditation even if they cannot make it to the ones on campus.