Tennis Pro

After attending Silviu Tanasoiu’s talk, I can definitely say I know way more about boys’ tennis and Cornell sports than I did before! I work for the Ivy League Digital Network filming sports game for broadcast on the internet so families can watch their kids play, so I felt like I knew a lot about our sports teams here, but I had no idea. But, I don’t personally interact with the players and at the moment we don’t film boys’ tennis.

Although the talk may have seemed more like a tennis information session, it gave me a window into the lives of the many athletes on campus. I feel like the athletes get a bad rap when it comes to academics here, but after hearing about all of the time and scheduling that goes in to do something that isn’t even required is remarkable. I can hardly handle my classes with few extra curricular activities, but they keep up with schoolwork while also having to schedule every little detail, down to when they’re allowed to snack. It was interesting to hear about their strong commitment, especially because I’ve never met anyone on the tennis team.

I also learned how small the tennis program is and how many benefits they get. There are hardly over 10 players on the team, and only some of them get to play in matches. Also, they get to Skype with top businessmen and alumni, and I can’t help but say I’m a little jealous of that, may I should join the boys’ tennis team! He stresses that his pupils make sure to appreciate every opportunity they get and to work hard with a goal in mind, which is why he gives them these outlets.

I think we can all learn from Coach Silviu in his commitment to structure, scheduling, and passion.

2 thoughts on “Tennis Pro

1. Hi Paige,

I like your post! I went to the talk as well and I think that is the most inspiring event I went this semester. I was really fascinated by how goal-oriented and determined the coach is in realizing his goal. In fact, following the talk I went to the tennis match on Saturday and watched the match between Cornell and Columbia. The Cornell team played very well although I am not sure about the result because I couldn’t stay until the end. If there is an opportunity, I wish that I could join the tennis team too.

Sabrina

2. I also found this talk very engaging. I find it remarkable the amount of dedication and passion that a student must have to be strictly committed to the athletic program that they are involved in on top of academics. I thought that many of the points that Silviu Tanasoiu made could be applied off the tennis courts, because I found many of them pertinent to everyday life. This was one of my favorite Rose Cafe’s due to the clear passion that Tanasoiu had for coaching and tennis.